What are the necessary benefits that come with stretching? Well as we all know, exercising is a essential part of achieving a healthier lifestyle. For some people, they can’t go a day without stretching. Meanwhile others don’t even understand all the benefits associated with it.
This is how it goes. You want to exercise everyday but you don’t have enough time. This makes you exercise a lot less than you normally would. But do you know that adding stretching to your daily routine goes a long say whether you exercise or not? It’s something that everyone can do regardless of age and gender. Plus, it doesn’t take as much time and gives you amazing results.
What Are the Benefits of Stretching?
Stretching comes with its own added benefits. Generally, the benefits of stretching include;
- Enhances muscular coordination
- Improves posture
- Increases flexibility
- Improves performance in other physical activities
- Prevents back pain
- Increases blood circulation in different parts of your body
- Reduces muscle tension
- Increases your energy level
- Increases range of movement in your joints
- Calms your mind
- Helps you relax better
What Are the Stretching Techniques Available?
There are various types of stretching techniques out there and they include;
- Active stretching
However, the most common stretching being Static and Dynamic. Static stretches involve you holding a particular stretch for a period of time such as 15-30 seconds. Meanwhile Dynamic stretches are various movements causing your muscles to stretch but aren’t held in an end position.
Static stretches are usually done after an exercise while Dynamic stretches are done before.
How to Begin
If you haven’t been stretching and you want to give it a try, start easy and take it slow. Remember your body needs time to adapt to any form of physical activity. Ensure to get a proper form as well as technique. This is to prevent you from getting injured. The good thing about stretching is that you can do it anytime of the day.
If you would be doing stretches when you exercise;
- Do a dynamic stretch before exercising to free your muscles
- Do some static stretches after your workout for at least 5 minutes.
If you wouldn’t be exercising;
- Stretch for a period of 10-15 minutes. This improves your flexibility and reduces chances of pain, tension or muscle tightness.
- Focus on your calves, hip flexors, hamstrings and of course, your quadriceps.
- Remember to focus on your neck, shoulders and lower back.
- Hold a position for 10-30 seconds.
Safety Tips for Stretching
Here are a few important and basic tips for stretching
- avoid having to stretch over your comfort zone
- Do not bounce
- Don’t overdo it
- If you have an injury, only do stretches recommended by your doctor
- Consult your doctor if you feel pain
- Don’t stretch with cold muscles
What Else to Know
Stretches aren’t just for athletes; you can do it in the comfort of your own home. By doing these searches a few minutes a day, you’ll notice amazing results. Remember to consult your doctor if you’re in pain or if you have an existing injury. It is also very important to take deep breathes when you stretch.
Start today and enjoy the amazing benefits.