Have you ever had homemade ice cream before? Probably no and that’s why you’re here to learn how to make ice cream at home. You can make your own delicious ice cream without having to buy it. There are lots of recipes on how to make ice cream. However, the catch is that you have to own a ice cream maker at home. But there’s nothing to worry here. I’ll show to easy tips to go about it without that. All you need is a zip-lock bag.
This is also a very quick and effective method. So, you have nothing to worry about. Just follow these steps and in no time, you have your own home-made ice cream. I learnt this process myself and I can guarantee you that it’s worth it.
How to Make Ice Cream – Necessary Ingredient
One very important ingredient you need in with this method is salt. That’s right. Salt. You need to mix it with ice. You’re probably wondering why. Well that’s because it lowers the freezing point of ice.
Here’s a quick explanation. You see water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit but if you add at least 20% of salt, then you can get it to freeze as low as 2 degrees. Basically, salt helps ice melt.
Now you should know this is a recipe for vanilla flavored option but you can with other kinds.
- A cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/3 coarse salt
- 2-3 cups of ice. It can be cubed or crushed.
- A gallon sized plastic zip-lock bag
- 1-quart sized plastic zip-lock bag.
How to Make Ice Cream – Procedure
- The first thing you need to do is combine your milk, sugar and vanilla all in the smaller plastic bag. Proceed to sealing the bag tightly and ensure you remove any air trapped in the bag.
- Next mix the salt and ice in the bigger sized plastic ziplock bag.
- Put the smaller bag into the latter plastic bag then proceed to seal tightly.
- Now proceed to shaking the bag as vigorously as you can for a total of 5-10 minutes. Since the bag would be very cold, ensure your hands are protected.
- As you do this, you will notice the liquor inside the smaller bag begin to harden. Place them in a plate or towel for a few minutes without opening any of the bags.
- Then rearrange the ice in the bigger ziplock bag till it’s surrounding the smaller zip lock bag.
- Open them up and collect the ice cream from the smaller bag.
- Serve immediately before it melts.
What to Know
When making more ice cream, double your recipe and put the mixture in two-quart sized ziplock bags. The put them in a bigger bag before you begin shaking. Also ensure you make use of freezer bags because they are a lot stronger and you don’t want any sort of leakage.
If you want a creamier option, then you can go for half and half. My favorite go to is the Carnation half and half creamer. Using milk gives a lot lighter version instead. If you would be making organic ice cream, then feel free to use organic ingredients.
If you would be making frozen yoghurt, then make use of milk and yoghurt. And for a favorite, chocolate ice cream, make use of chocolate syrup. Cocoa may not be the best choice.
There is more than one way in making your own Ice cream at home and this is just one of the ways. You have different ice options such as regular ice or dry ice. You can choose to not use any ice as well as use your freezer.
Find out how to make whipped cream.