Hot dogs are very popular snacks, especially in fast food restaurants and eateries.
Contrary to popular opinion, hot dogs aren’t hard to make at all. You only need an hour or less to create delicious homemade hot dogs in your home.
The greatest part about making your hot dogs is that you know what goes into them. A lot of people are skeptical about ordering snacks because they don’t know the production process. You can customize your dogs too- it can be all beef, all pork, or even a combination of both.
Are you as excited as I am?
Then, let’s dive in.
Ingredients Used for Making Hot Dogs
What are the ingredients you need?
- Finely chopped garlic (1 small clove)
- Minced onion (half cup)
- Ground coriander (1 teaspoon)
- Dried marjoram (¼ teaspoon)
- Ground mustard seed (½ teaspoon)
- Ground mace (¼ teaspoon)
- Finely ground white pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Sugar (1 ½ teaspoon)
- 1 egg white
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Milk (¼ cup)
- Paprika (1 teaspoon)
- Cubed lean pork (1 pound)
- lean beef (¾ pound- cubed)
- Cubed pork fat (¼ pound)
- Small hog or sheep casings (4 feet, and 1 ½ inch diameter)
- White vinegar
There are two parts you need to make- the filling and the casing
Filling for the hot dogs
- Pour the garlic, coriander, onion, marjoram, mustard seed, mace, and paprika into a blender or food processor, and puree them. Then, add the egg white, pepper, salt, milk, and sugar, and blend as well.
- Set this mixture aside
- Grind the beef, pork, and fat cubes one at a time. Then, combine all three and grind together
- Now, using a large bowl, mix the puree and grounded meat with your hands. Make sure you wet your hands with cold water before mixing so that the mixture doesn’t stick.
- When you’re done, place it in the refrigerator for about 30 to 35 minutes. Grind it again. Then, set aside.
- Rinse the casing under cool water. This helps to eliminate the salt. Then, put it in a bowl of cool water and let it soak for about 30 minutes.
- After that, run cool water over it again. Firmly hold one end of the casing in place over the faucet nozzle. Gently turn on the water first, then increase the speed. This should remove any salt in the casing and expose breaks. If you see one, simply remove a tiny section of the casing.
- Put the casing in a bowl of water and add white vinegar- for every cup of water, one tablespoon of vinegar will suffice. This vinegar will soften the casing, thereby making it look transparent. The hot dog will look nicer that way.
Leave the casing in the bowl of water and vinegar till you need them. Make sure you drain them properly before stuffing
- Stuff the casings with the meat mixture using a sausage filler. Twist them into about 6-inch links. Partly boil the links in hot water for about 25 minutes.
- Put the franks in chilled water. Remove, dry it, and place in a refrigerator. You can leave them there for one week or freeze them for later use.
Want to make buttercream? Here’s how.