Most people want to know how to make vanilla ice cream in Nigeria but have no idea of where to start.
This ice cream is one of the easiest recipes you can ever make. Its very easy and straightforward. Vanilla flavored ice cream is popular all over the world but has strong stakes in America, Asia, and Europe.
If you’re as excited as I am, let’s dive in.
Step-by-step Guide on How to Make Vanilla Ice Cream
What are the ingredients needed to make vanilla ice cream?
- Fresh milk (500 mls). It should not be evaporated milk
- Egg yolk (6)
- Sugar (60g)
- Whipping cream (250 mls)
- Vanilla extract (2 tablespoons)/vanilla pod
- Honey, fruits, and caramel (for decorating)
Each of these ingredients can be bought from local stores in Nigeria.
What equipment are necessary?
- 1 Bowl for mixing the ice cream
- 1 Bowl to accommodate the first bowl
- Ice cream spoon (it’s optional)
- If you’re using vanilla pod, expose the seeds by cutting it open along the sides.
- Make lots of ice cubes as they’ll be instrumental in cooling the cream. Make at least 35 ice cubes
- Break the eggs and remove the whites from the egg yolks, because that’s what you’ll be using.
- Combine the whipping cream and fresh milk into one pot
- Pour in the vanilla extract. If you’re using the pod, add everything (including the fiber and seeds) into the pot with fresh milk and whipping cream
- Place the pot on medium heat
- Before it starts boiling, whisk your egg whites properly. Add the sugar and continue mixing
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to its lowest point. If you used vanilla pods, now is the time to extract the fiber from the milk
- When you reduce the heat, you’d notice that the milk doesn’t foam as much. When it reaches this stage, add the egg yolks, vanilla mix, and whipping cream, and keep stirring till everything mixes properly.
- You can now increase the heat slowly to medium once you notice that the solution is getting thicker. This roughly takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
- When you’re satisfied with the thickness, drop the ice cubes into a larger bowl and pour water over them. Then take the smaller bowl filled with the ice cream mixture and place in this water bath. Keep stirring the mixture till it cools down completely.
- Carry the bowl containing the ice-cream to the freezer. After every 30 minutes, bring it out, stir thoroughly, and then place back into the freezer again. Keep repeating this process till it forms a creamy solid. It’s so important that you stir continuously at intervals because it prevents ice from forming internally.
- If there are any left overs, place it in a container, cover it and take it to the freezer. When you remove it from there, it may be very strong and solid compared to the ones sold at fast food restaurants. Simply leave it out for 5 minutes and then, serve.